Welfare and Rehabilitation Board, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India has released the notification to grant the Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme (PMSS) and in Hindi Pradhanmantri Scholarship Scheme, “प्रधानमंत्री छात्रवृत्ति योजना”. The main objective of this scholarship is to take care of the wards of Central Armed Police Forces & Assam Rifles (CAPFs & AR) and State Police forces personnel who are deceased or disabled during government services. The scholarship scheme grants the financial assistance to pursue higher technical & professional education to dependent wards & widows of such personnel to pursue their dream career with ease. The scheme is initiated in the year 2006-07 and managed by the Kendriya Sainik Board (KSB). The PMSS stands for Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme and is also popularised as PM Scholarship.
To avail of this scholarship scheme, every candidate has to fulfil some eligibility conditions. On this page, you will be able to check Eligibility criteria, Key dates, List of courses, Amount, Application Form, Documents required, and how to apply for the PM Scholarship.
Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme- An Overview
|Name of Scholarships||Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme (PMSS)|
|Provided by||Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India|
|Qualification||Students pursuing a first professional degree program and having at least 60% marks|
|Reward||Maximum available scholarship of Rs. 36,000/-|
The scheme provides 2000 scholarships for Wards of CAPFs & AR personnel and 500 scholarships for Wards of State Police Force personnel every year. Let’s check the important dates of the PM scholarship.
|CAPFs & Assam Rifles||Depended Wards/Widow of CAPFs & AR personnel who:
|State Police Forces||Dependent ward/ widow of State Police personnel who:
- The candidate must be pursuing a first professional degree program. A list of all eligible courses is given below.
- The candidate requires at least 60% marks in the minimum required qualification for that professional course. (10+2/ Diploma/ Graduation etc.)
List of Eligible Courses
Order of Preference
Application received from the eligible applicants under the new category will be shortlisted based on the order of preference as mentioned below and the percentage of marks obtained by them in MEQ:-
i) For CAPFs/AR personnel
|Category A||Wards/ Widows of CAPFS &
AR Personnel Killed in Action.
|Category B||Wards of Ex-CAPFs &
AR personnel disabled in action.
|Category C||Wards/ Widows of deceased CAPFs
& AR personnel died during Government
service or conduct of Election.
|Category D||Wards of Ex-CAPFs & AR personnel
disabled during government services.
|Category E||Wards of Ex- CAPFs & AR personnel
in receipt of Gallantry Awards.
|Category F||Wards of Ex- CAPFs & AR
|Category G||Wards of serving CAPFs & AR
personnel (PBOR) subject to
availability of Scholarship.
ii) State Police Forces
There will be no rank restriction for Categories A to E and dependent wards of State Police Personnel who are martyred during Terror/Naxal attacks.
Amount of Scholarship
|Girl Student||Rs. 36,000/Year|
|Boy Student||Rs. 30,000/Year|
To be paid annually after selection. Rs 36000/- to each girl & Rs 30000/- to each boy. The amount of scholarship is directly credited to the beneficiary’s bank account through the Direct beneficiary Transfer method.
Duration of Scholarship
Up to five years (depending upon the duration of the course being pursued by the applicant and as approved by the respective regulatory body).
How to Apply
The PM Scholarship Scheme (PMSS) for CAPFs, AR & State Police personnel is implemented through the National Scholarship Portal (NSP).
To apply online, candidates require to visit the official website scholarships.gov.in/. After then, follow the steps given below.
Step 1: Student Registration
- Firstly, the candidate has to register themselves in the “Registration” section where students have to enter all the basic details.
- After then, the system will send the Application Id and Password to provided Phone Number & Email.
Step 2: Login/ Select Scholarship
- Log in with provided Application Id and Password. Students must change the password upon first login. (Don’t share your password)
- After that, the candidate has to choose a scholarship type, “Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme”, listed in the list of scholarships.
Step 3: Upload Documents/ Final Submit
- Thereupon, the applicant has to upload all the necessary documents required for this scholarship.
- After, review your application and make the final submission of your application.
Step 4: Print Application Form
- At last, print the application form and submit it with the necessary documents to the concerned institute.
- Aadhaar Card Number/ Enrollment Id
- Mark Sheets of the required qualification.
- Bank Account Details (A/c Number, IFSC Code)
i) For Wards of CAPF’s & Assam Rifles
- PPO/ Discharge Certificate/ (Mandatory for Category A to F)
- Death Certificate (Mandatory for Category A & C)
- Disability Certificate (Mandatory for Category B & D)
- Certificate of Gallantry award (Mandatory for Category E)
- Service Certificate to be issued by the H.O.O Serving Personnel
ii) For Wards of State Police Forces
- Martyred Certificate Issued by State Govt. Indicating killed in Terror/Naxal Violence.
General Instruction/ Guidelines
- All candidates must apply through the official website of the National Scholarship Portal scholarships.gov.in/.
- The candidate requires an Aadhaar number to apply for this scholarship, which should be linked with Back Account.
- Only two children per family can avail of this scholarship scheme and should be ensured by the beneficiaries as well as by the respective CAPF & AR.
- Married and Un-Married, both applicants, can apply for this scholarship.
- The wards of Assistant Commandant, holding Local Rank of CAPFs & AR (who are not entailing the pay benefits of Assistant Commandant and drawing the Salary of Inspectors) are eligible for granting PMS under category “F” & “G” also.
The scholarship is provided for the entire duration of the course. But, the candidate requires to renew it every year. To renew your application follow the steps given below:
- It is mandatory to pass each academic year of the professional courses with a minimum of 50% marks for renewal.
- After then, visit the official website of National Scholarship Portal scholarships.gov.in/. Where you have to log in with a registered User Id & Password.
- After login, you can apply for the Renewal of Scholarship.
Note: A grace period of one year is provided for delay in renewal application submission from the side of students.
Document Required for Renewal
- Service Certificate Issued by H.O.O in case of serving personnel (Only for CAPFs &AR)
- Certificate issued by Education Institution (Admission Slip etc.)
Important Key Dates
|Online Student Registration Starts On||November 2021|
|Last Date to Apply Online||December 2021|
|Verification & Confirmation by Institutes||December 2021|
|Verification & Confirmation of Application by
CAPFs & AR
|Merit List Preparation||January 2022|
|Processing for sanctioning of scholarship by
R& W Directorate, MHA from PMO
|Payment File Generation||February 2022|
|Disbursement of Scholarship Amount||February 2022|
|Dispatch of Personal Letter from Hon’ble
Prime Minister in Appropriate Language
from WARB/ CAPFs/ AR
The online registration process starts every year in October, and students can apply up to the last date, expected, December 2021.
If you like this information, Share it with your friends. For any query/suggestion, leave a comment below.