A lot of people ask, search, watch videos, read tips, How to speak English fluently without hesitation, confidently? How do I learn to speak good in English? You don’t speak good, you speak well. When somebody asks you, How are you? You don’t say, “I am good.” You are not good unless you are a character in an allegorical novel. You are well, and you are doing well.
Here are some tips that will most definitely help you better yourself in speaking the language known as “English”:
- Learn 10 words each day. Any simple 10 words. And make sure you write a paragraph in which you use those words. It doesn’t have to be a story, personal notes; just use those words in sentences and take the full creative liberty. Most of the people simply learn the words but haven’t a clue regarding their usage. And it has seen that practice even in articles in newspapers. No need to start with novels. Novels are tediously large texts written over a long period of time. If you aren’t decently familiar with the language, you will hate picking up the dictionary over and over again. So start with plays. plays are much smaller & comprise dialogue. If you want to learn to speak, you must focus on the speech rather than detailed descriptions laid down in the novel of the surroundings and whatnot.
- Do not read more than three pages of anything. Your interest in the content is secondary. It should never overcome your desire to learn the language. In 3 pages, you will find plenty of information to understand the rules of grammar. When you look at the three pages, think in your head that you are in a prison, and to learn English, which you have to at any cost, only these three pages are at your disposal. So get the most out of it. Really read, notice, observe how every sentence is formed, and compare it with your sentence formations. This is not about creativity or originality. Steal as much as you can. Memorise the manner of speaking, explaining, and describing. You want to learn the language, not write a noble prize winning the book.
- Learn from anything you come across. even if you studying engineering, medicines, or anything. You have books, and they are in English. When they are already written in English, then instead of picking up novels or newspapers, why don’t you study as well as examine the sentence formation at the same time? Two things at once.
- Try to think in English. To speak English without hesitation, you try to think in English. When you are learning it, you have nobody to converse with in English. The only tool to master fluency is to speak it to yourself. The advantage of thinking in English is there is no embarrassment. All you have to do is, enforce it on you to the extent that not even a thought crossing your mind is in Hindi. Once it is established as a habit, you will develop fluency in speech, as you have already been doing it more than often in your mind. So when you speak it, it will come out naturally.
- Do not afraid of using the words you have learned. Bring them into your vocabulary. Understand this fact: Fluency does not equate with abundance or richness of vocabulary. There are two problems people face while speaking the language: they either can not find words or can not form a sentence. If you are learning words, then at least one problem is taken care of. Just because people around you aren’t known for using big words, does not mean you ought to refrain yourself.
- Watch movies with subtitles. Movies, again, have dialogues and have conversations taking place in the most commonplace scenarios. Use it. Screw the movie. Take what you can. Observe how they are interacting with one another, note it down, learn it. The simple idea is, the more you play with something, you more you master it.It’s just like gaming, the first time you play it, you die, you lose but as you keep on playing, you get better, your understanding of the game develops, and you discover new things.
- Learn the differences and proper usage of these: Do, did, does. In India, that’s one thing girls make the most fun of. Must, should or ought to. Ought to and should are almost interchangeable. Can, may, might. Another important one is: lie and lay. American have a completely way of using lay. Continuously and continually. Dissatisfied and unsatisfied. Credible and Credulous. Uncomparable and incomparable. Google away and learn as much as you can.
- YouTube: Subscribe the late night show with Stephen Colbert. Actually, search for John Oliver, Trevor Noah, Samantha Bee, Bill Maher. Subscribe and whenever you decide yo waste your time on YouTube, watch only and only their videos. You will learn something new alongside the language. Another great way of learning English is, for comedy. Comedy relies heavily on sentence structuring. So Education Bhaskar suggest is, for a while, make English content your priority. Become obsessed. If you are learning something new, immerse yourself in it completely.
- Refrain from the learning the informal speech– profanities, slags, cuss words. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. sometimes, what most people learn is how to use cuss words, and then find themselves unable to express in a clean manner. The fascination comes from trying to be cool and sounding American-like, or at least that’s we think. It does not make you American, it makes you an India trying to mimic some dumbass from America.
- Lastly, and here is bonus tip, while typing, stop using short forms, shorthand, abbreviations, and restrict the usage of dots to a period. Dat is that, dere is there, hru is how are you etc. it is not saving you anytime, nor are you fighting a dragon with the other hand.
How to Speak English Fluently with Correct Grammar
- Learn new words
- Avoid lengthy novels
- Develop your own pace of reading
- Learn from everything
- Think in English
- Introduce variety in your vocabulary
- Watch movies with subtitles, understand the usage
- Watch English content on YouTube
- and prefer speaking well without having to learn on profanity
The most important thing is, don’t watch a video or read an article on doing something and then give up. We are very used to not making an effort; finding satisfaction by reading how to do it; waiting until the thing becomes an absolute necessity. And then we look for shortcuts: how to speak well in a job interview; how to learn English in 30 days.
If you are the person reading this Education Bhaskar article because inside you there is a need, there is a realization that you have to learn it in order to better yourself for whatever reasons,- social awkwardness, promotion, interaction, public speaking, creative expression, whatever- then please start doing it. Because it genuinely takes a lot of time and works to write these articles and Education Bhaskar is only doing this for you, so if you don’t take any advantage, then what’s the point?