Every woman aspires to be beautiful. Now even men share the same desire. The job of a beautician is to take the beauty which, is skin deep out to the surface to show off. As people are more and more aware of the products and treatments, they consult more and more beauticians and hair stylists, so the scope in this career is excellent. The only requirement is that you have to give yourself entirely into the hands of the beautician.
“Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder”
Table of Contents:-
What is Cosmetology?
Cosmetology is defined as the study and application of beauty treatment. It is part of medical science in which mainly focus on the physical appearance of a person & makes people look good. It has different branches i.e. face treatments, beauty therapy and body, hair and overall health care.
Diploma Courses (6 months to 1 year):
- Diploma in Fashion Media Make up
- Diploma in Cosmetology
- Diploma in Hair Dressing
- Diploma in Makeup
- Standard Diploma Beautician
- Advanced Diploma in Hair Dressing
Certificate Courses (3 to 6 Month):
- Certificate Course in Herbal Beauty and Therapy
- Certificate Course in Massage Therapy
- Certificate course in Beauty Culture
- Certificate course in Personal and Professional Make-up
Master Courses (1 year):
- PG Diploma in Cosmetology (PGDC)
- Good communication and consultation skills.
- Understanding the effects of various beauty products.
- Knowledge of Physiology of the skin, hair and nails.
- Knowledge of Chemistry of colour and colour theory.
- Certificate course in Beauty and hairdressing
- Nail Care
- Mehndi (Henna)
- Advanced Perming
- Advanced Colouring
- Advanced Aromatherapy Body
- Earning a good reputation from satisfied clients is very important in this profession.
- Maintaining stamina for hours together without letting the smile fade away is very important for a beautician. This becomes a challenge also because after all s/he is a human being.
- Listening to the complaints from clients after doing a good job can be disheartening at times.
- Beauty Care Distributor
- Beauty Magazine Writer
- Cosmetology Instructor
- Fashion Show Stylist
- Makeup Artist
- Manufacturer Sales Representative
- Nail Care Artists
- Salon Sales Consultant
How to Pursue:
- Candidates wish to make the career Cosmetology. Candidates who seek admission in any of the institutions of beautician courses, they have to appear for the entrance exam that is conducted by those institutions.
- If you want to pursue PGDC, then you have to qualify MBBS/BDS/BAMS/BHMS degree.
- VLCC Academy of Beauty Health & Management, New Delhi
- International Polytechnic for Women, 1860, Sector 34-D, Chandigarh
- Shahnaz Husain International Beauty Academy, Mumbai
- RVTI for Women, Jaipur, Vadodara, Allahabad, Noida
- National and Regional Vocational Training Institutes for Women
- Habib’s Hair Academy
- Pearl Academy of Fashion (PAF), Jaipur
- International Women Polytechnic, Delhi
- Women’s Technical Training Institute, YWCA, Asoka Road, New Delhi
- Government Polytechnic for Women, Adyar, Chennai
- Women’s Polytechnic, Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
- Shahnaz Herbal Women’s International, Mumbai
- Akbar Peerbhoy Girl’s Polytechnic, Mumbai
- VLCC Institute of Health and Management, New Delhi
- ITI for Women, Curzon Road, New Delhi
- Shahnaz Beauty Parlour
The pay scale of a beautician ranges vastly. Your experience and expertise will fetch you more money in this profession. The salary of cosmetologist also depends on city and company level. In India, a cosmetologist can earn Rs. 1.5 lakh to Rs. 2 Lakh per annum as a starting salary. Candidate with a professional degree with good skills can expect a Rs. 50,000 per month as a starting salary.
In overseas, the mean annual wage for cosmetologists is $27,940 per year before tips.
Books & Study Material
Here are some good books for preparation for Beautician/Cosmetologist:
- Colour Stories by Mary Lisa Gavenas
- Cosmetology Certification Exam by LearningExpress Editors
- Nigel Barker’s Beauty Equation by Nigel Barker
- Passionate Salon Professionals by Dr Lewis Losoncy, Joe Santy
- Skin Care: Beyond the Basics by Lees, Mark
- Spa & Salon Alchemy by Sandra Alexcae Moren
Life of Shahnaz Husain
Her constant effort of beautifying the skin of people with her beauty products is not unknown to the world. She is the most prominent personality in the corporate world. Shahnaz Hussain can be called the ruler of the world of beauty. She is a person who is striving really hard to nourish the skin of the people in her natural way. She is a woman who is trying hard to make the women look younger than their age.
- Padma Shree Award
- Lloyds TSB Jewel Award, UK
- Leonardo Da Vinci Diamond Award, the US for outstanding achievements in the field of Ayurveda
- International Star Award for Quality, Geneva for the Diamond product category
- The Arch of Europe Gold Star for Quality
- The 2000 Millennium Medal of Honor
- Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana Award